Brooklyn’s HVAC Pros Share Must-Know Information About HVAC Sizing
Everything You Need To Know About Proper HVAC Sizing
Every home or business space has its unique comfort requirements. The “one-size-fits-all” rule doesn’t apply to proper HVAC sizing. Think about this: a home that is 3,000 square feet doesn’t need to have the same size unit as a 1,500-square foot building. Unfortunately, many homeowners assume that the bigger A/C or furnace, the better, but it’s actually wrong!
So, how do you determine the size of the system you need? There are three ways to get the calculations of your residential HVAC.
- Using this formula: Determine the length and width of the space, and multiply them to get the square footage. Next, add them all together. Then, determine the base British Thermal Unit (BTU). Roughly 25 BTUs are the amount of energy used for every square foot in your home. So, just multiply the number of square feet by 25 to get the measurement.
- Using an online calculator: It provides a more accurate estimate than the formula above. In this method, you need to consider the room size, the number of residents, the current insulation, and the weather.
- Professional calculations from a reliable HVAC contractor in Brooklyn, NY: They have the expertise, training, and the right set of tools in performing load calculations. Thus, you can be confident in getting a properly-sized unit before the installation begins. Be sure to hire a reputable HVAC contractor to avoid any unintended damage or hefty costs.
The Pitfalls of an Improperly-Sized HVAC
Your System Usually Turns On and Off
This happens when the unit is too big for a space. It cycles on and off, causing an inconsistent temperature and early system failure. Therefore, more money and energy are wasted on an uncomfortable home.
Constantly Running Unit
When your system is too small, it will take a longer time to cool or heat the space. You’ll end up spending more while your unit’s components wear out faster. That also means additional HVAC repair in Brooklyn, NY and unnecessary costs.
A wrong size unit cannot effectively keep your home comfortable. You will either feel uncomfortably hot or cold all the time. Having indoor air quality (IAQ) problems can also turn your space into a breeding ground for mold, mildew, and other allergens.
Unfortunately, these contaminants don’t just compromise your home’s comfort, but also jeopardize your health. Installing IAQ products can help to fix these issues temporarily. That’s why if you’re not sure how to deal with getting the proper HVAC size, contact your trusted contractor.
High Energy Bills
Poor airflow, uneven temperature, excessive humidity levels—these all boil down to high energy bills. An oversized or undersized unit consumes more electricity than it should. It has to work harder to meet your heating or cooling demand, causing its parts to overheat or the unit to break down completely.
EXTRA Tips for You
Whether you’re purchasing an HVAC for the first time or getting an a/c replacement in Brooklyn, NY, here are a few things to consider:
- Before you buy a new A/C, be sure to look for its Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER). It is an energy efficiency rating for an air conditioning system. The higher the SEER, the more efficient the unit. Meanwhile, furnaces are measured by AnnualFuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) rating and Heating Season Performance Factor (HSPF) for electric heat pumps.
- Do online research or call your local HVAC company to learn more about the installation cost.
- Seek referrals from your family or friends. Check your budget and ask for their recommendations.
- Look for rebates and special offers.
Buying a new HVAC for your home or business is a big investment that can sometimes be stressful. To ensure that your residential or commercial heating and cooling system is properly sized, contact Iceberg Mechanical Corp.
ABOUT ICEBERG MECHANICAL CORP.
Iceberg Mechanical is a family-owned HVAC business since 1993. Today, the company is recognized as one of the most trusted heating and air conditioning contractors in New York City. The company is also one of Mitsubishi Elite Diamond Dealers in NYC, which means the team has surpassed the five performance indicators—marketing, training, service, sales, and customer satisfaction.
Distribution Links +